We offer the following services
- Foot Care Clinic
- Individual Appointments to discuss nutrition, fitness, & diabetes care
- Annual diabetic eye exam
- Referral to KTHC Dental for dental care
- Annual comprehensive foot exam with the podiatrist
- Diabetes education with our trained and certified staff. You can attend the formal education program or make an appointment at any time for assistance with your diabetes care
- Blood sugar testing supplies
- Non-custom diabetic shoes
- Custom diabetic shoes (with a referral from podiatrist)
- Communication with providers/nurses to help ensure that you stay up to date with diabetes-related screenings.
We follow the American Diabetes Association Standards of Medical Care to ensure that all people with diabetes at KTHC receive the recommended care to reduce complications due to diabetes. The ADA Standards of Medical Care is the gold standard for all people with diabetes.
Self-Management Education Program
Offered continuously throughout the year. It includes 4 sessions and a 3-6 month follow up. We use the AADE 7 Self-Care Behaviors to guide the program.
- Session 1: Diabetes Overview, Monitoring, and Healthy Activity
- Session 2: Healthy Eating (only)
- Session 3: Problem Solving and Health Coping (individual session with a registered nurse educator)
- Session 4: Reducing Risks and Taking Medications
- Session 1: 1st Tuesday each month, optional 9:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. class
- Session 2: scheduled at your convenience, Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Session 3: scheduled at your convenience, Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Session 4: 4th Tuesday each month, optional 9:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. class
If unable to make a group class, it can be scheduled at your convenience and will be one-on-one with anyone of our educators.
We also offer activities and events to promote healthy lifestyles across the lifespan
- Heart Month (February) information and activities
- National Nutrition Month (March) information and activities
- Spring Break Kamp Kickapoo (March, ages 8-12)
- Elder Olympics (May)
- N.Y.P.D. (Native Youth Preventing Diabetes) Camp (June, ages 8-12)
- Kamp Kickapoo (June-July, ages 8-12)
- Annual Health Fair (Fall)
- H.A.W.K. Walk (November)
- Diabetes Education Fair (November), partnering with McLoud Public Library
- DASHing to Stop Hypertension class/cooking demonstration (offered quarterly starting 2019)
- Essential Eating for Elders (cooking demos quarterly at Elder Nutrition Center)
- Physical activity and nutrition activities twice monthly with Kickapoo Head Start (during the school year).
- Individual exercise training with fitness specialist at the fitness center or at the Kickapoo Trails and fitness equipment.
- Dietitian is available by appointment for any nutrition-related need such as weight management, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, general healthy eating, etc.
- Nail trims with our registered nurse available by appointment.
We have a registered nurse, dietitian/certified diabetes educator, and fitness specialist on staff. One of our very own KTHC pharmacists also teaches some of the diabetes group classes.
Click HERE to view our HEART HEALTHY Recipies!!